Corporate volunteering, or Employer Supported Volunteering (ESV) as it’s also known, is on the rise, with an estimated 11 million people in the UK given time off by their employers to volunteer each year.
This type of volunteering is a result of work-based initiatives where an employer supports their employees to donate their time and skills during work hours to engage with their community, creating a fairer society and a more sustainable future in the process.
Corporate volunteering is a pillar of a company’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) and came about to build more engaged and valued workforces. It can comprise of practical tasks or be skill-based, allowing groups or individuals to undertake these duties, be it quick tasks for a one-off event or for a larger project comprising over a lengthier period.
Benefits for charities:
- Take advantage of industry-specific talents offered by highly skilled individuals.
- Save money and resources otherwise spent on paid workers/consultants.
- By freeing up tasks, apply more focus towards achieving your overall mission.
- Opens doors to collaboration and sourcing of future trustees.
- Cements your role in the local community.
Benefits for companies:
- A chance to give something back and build reputation.
- Encourages teams to bond/learn communication skills.
- Potentially lends a hand in making staff more productive and motivated towards their roles.
- Generally fulfilling for the staff, providing them opportunities to add to their CVs.
How can hvoss help?
- We can help you with your Corporate Volunteering through:
- Support to develop a programme appropriate for your company / organisation
- Information and links to local charities / volunteer engaging organisations
- Promoting volunteering to employees
- Assist with sourcing of potential team challenges
For more information please contact usget in touch